Sunday, March 9, 2008

Video on OpenId

Here is a clever, helpful video on OpenId - a new technology designed to make it easier to sign into websites (watch the video to see what I mean).

Below I clipped some of the comments from YouTube (it seems that not everyone is enamored with the idea.

I guess we'll just have to see if this takes off.
clipped from www.youtube.com
OpenID According to Dave
A short video explaining OpenID, brought to you by myVidoop.com

the authentication part is fine
but the email part is wrong, I don't want to use the same email for every site I sign up for.
There are many solution to the too many users and passwords problems.
this soluiton requires sites to implement it, that's never going to happen with enough sites to become a real solution for the user (and the big ones will not want to do this at all)

isn't this like cardspace? (or whatever it was called) I'd rather use a plug in that saves my passwords locally

This is a disaster. There exist several ways to gain access to any server that checks with an IDP : One way that is not impossible is by using DNS poisoning so the service asks a fake IDP about "is this dave ?" ( or anyone else you wanna gain access for ) and always get yes answer.

Superb explanation for noobs.
I'll stick it in my blog so I know where to find it!

Thanks, myvidoop.
 blog it

No comments: